In the News 05.08.19
Painful stomach cramps and a heavy flow? Signs your period symptoms aren’t normal
- Journalist Hattie Gladwell reports on PCOS and why it’s important to see a doctor if you’re experiencing heavy periods.
- Periods can be different for everyone in terms of length and flow, but significant changes or severe symptoms could be a sign that there is something wrong.
- 10% of women worldwide have endometriosis and one in five people in the UK having PCOS.
- It’s normal for periods to be heavy but bleeding through one or more pads or tampons in an hour could be a sign of other complications, again including PCOS, a hormone imbalance, bleeding complications or even a sign of a miscarriage.
- Read the full article in The Metro here
Women face discrimination over their periods at work: ‘It’s just an excuse to act like a b****’
- Women are facing discrimination over their periods in the workplace and colleagues are not taking their pain seriously and subjecting them to scathing comments, according to a new poll.
- Carried out by a Chartered Institute of Personnel Development training specialist, the survey found around half said they faced significant stigma. Almost a third said co-workers did not take period pain seriously.
- Six in 10 said they would not feel comfortable talking about periods at all with either colleagues or managers due to the taboo which surrounds menstruation.
- Read the full article in The Independent here
HACK YOUR HORMONES Don’t be at the mercy of your period – make your monthly cycle work for you and be happier and healthier than ever
- One 2016 study found that less than a third of women knew about the different reproductive hormones, and only half were able to say when their next period was likely to be
- It’s important for women to track their periods in order to know what a normal cycle is like for them and what could be a sign that something’s not right,” says Dr Christine Ekechi, a consultant obstetrician and gynaecologist at Imperial College Healthcare.
- Read the full article in the Sun here